Saturday 5 January 2013

Day 5 - Your First Fall

I don't actually remember my first fall. I have a terrible memory and I fell off Wombat easily hundreds of times (to be expected, I didn't use a saddle very often and didn't worry about not jumping because of lack of saddle).

So I shall tell you a funny story about my sister Erin's first fall off a horse.

Now Erin is the middle sister - I am the eldest, and Natalie (who is SUPPOSED to co-author this blog but has no interest) is the youngest sister and shares my horsey obsession. Erin, however, does not. But when Erin and I were tiny little girls we both had the pony bug, as you do. One day our parents took us to the local 'hire-a-horse' style riding facility and took Erin and I on lead line pony rides.

I was having the time of my life, on a horse where I honestly felt like I belonged. Erin was not feeling as comfortable as I and her pony bolted, pulling the lead out of my father's (possible mothers?) hand. Of course, she toppled off, cried and was hurt, cutting my glorious pony ride very short. :(

When we returned home I was NOT pleased. Erin was being tended to by both my parents, as she really had hurt herself and had been winded. I felt jipped - I wanted to ride that pony and just because Erin had been scared and spooked her pony I had to get off and come home.

I devised a plan - I would show my parents! Erin wasn't hurt that bad - I would show them what a hurt daughter looked like!

I climbed to the top of the cubby house slide. I carelessly threw myself to the ground, hoping to at least break something. I did not however hurt myself at all, but I screamed and cried like I had. I cried and cried and cried and peeked out of the corner of my eye to check if they were watching and then cried some more.

Nope. Not even a face at the back window. Nothing! I got up, stormed inside and was ready to give them a piece of my mind. I could have died! And they didn't care at all!!

I think you know how this ends - I was sent to my room for being a brat and Erin continued to get the sympathy.

I never forgave her for that. How selfish!

No comments: