Wednesday 6 January 2016

Puddles and Splashing

Today is the 4th day in a row of near torrential rain. We got 103mm of rain in my area yesterday!

On the first day, we TRIED to take the horses to Mulgoa for a trail ride because it's all sandstone and sand there and the footing is excellent in the wet.

We got there and it was raining but we tacked up anyway. I figured that I'll be competing in the wet at some point and I don't want to have to scratch just because it's raining. We were all soaked by the time we got on but it was warm so we headed off. We hadn't bothered to ask the ranger to unlock the gate for us (we never do) as we intended to just jump the low barrier. It's about horse knee height.

Well, Allie jumped it. Gracie, however, after an hour of trying and trying, absolutely refused to even walk over it.

What a waste of time. We were soaked, all our tack was soaked (and would require oiling) and our boots had collected a fair amount of rainwater. We had to untack and just take them home. Natalie was NOT impressed. Gracie normally loves jumping low stuff. We think she wasn't happy at first because of the wet and because she had a breast collar on for the second time ever. But once we started pressing the issue she just got more and more stubborn.

Anyway. The second and third days of rain Allie has had off. I'm trying to get a spot at the indoor to do SOMETHING with her today and tomorrow but I'll probably have to go and have Evie with me in the travel cot and I'll probably have to try to keep her entertained too. I don't like my chances of getting much productive done.

I'll be sure to bring a lunge lead. At least I can lunge her with a baby strapped to me, right?

No comments: